Position: Habitat Home Repair Technician
Period: Contract Position
Salary: $20 per hour
SCOPE OF WORK:
This is a contract position for a pilot program. The Habitat Handyman for Habitat for Humanity PEI is responsible for the front-line delivery of handyman services to successful program applicants. The scope of duties is inclusive of costing, coordinating, and delivery of the service with the support of a volunteer workforce and our construction manager. HFHPEI strives to build a culture focused on family values, community involvement, and continuous innovation within the home-building industry.
The incumbent Habitat Handyman is a direct report of the Construction Manager under the oversight of the Chief Executive Officer. The incumbent will be a peer of other Habitat construction staff and may be called to work with or offer support to the Build program if/as appropriate.
SCOPE OF AUTHORITY:
The Habitat Handyman will be required to interact with clients, suppliers, and volunteers and provide direction/instruction as appropriate.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
The incumbent to this position will have a minimum of 3 years experience as a carpenter, builder, or handyman (or the equivalent) in a residential construction setting with a preferred minimum of two years in a construction management role. Project Management experience is an asset.
Preference will be given to an incumbent who has a working knowledge of the PEI Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations and the current PEI Building Code. Current and valid First Aid & CPR Certification would be ideal but is not a necessary requirement.
This position requires the individual to have at least mid-level abilities with respect to the use of email, the internet, Word, Excel, and basic computing.
Work related to this position will be physically demanding requiring, at times, the lifting of construction supplies with/out assistance. As such, the incumbent must be willing to provide proof of physical fitness.
The successful incumbent must be entitled to work in Canada and will have his/her own transportation, a valid driving license, and a clean driver abstract.
SCOPE OF COMMUNICATIONS:
The nature of the position is such that the incumbent must be a superior communicator able to engage in and facilitate positive, tactful, clear, consistent, and timely oral and written communications across broad HFHPEI’s partner families, suppliers, volunteers, staff, and clients. Of particular importance will be a willingness to work closely with other construction staff if/as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Project Selection and Pre-Build Logistics
- Receives/responds to requests from homeowners in the community regarding Handyman services according to established protocols.
- Assist the Construction manager with day-to-day activities in all aspects of residential home repair.
- Visits homeowner to determine the scope of work and its viability as a Habitat Handyman project.
- Is particularly vigilant in spotting any homeowner issues relative to the health and safety of staff and volunteers in the completion of each Handyman project.
- Liaise with local suppliers and our ReStore operation to source the quality, affordable building materials required to complete the work (if/as applicable).
- Provides a written estimate to the homeowner inclusive of materials cost and hours required to complete it.
- Secures approval from the homeowner to proceed with the project inclusive of the completion of requisite paperwork/documents.
Scheduling and Coordination
- Identifies the volunteer support required to execute the project.
- Liaises with the Construction Manager and the ReStore to coordinate resource scheduling for the project vis-à-vis other HFH Prince Edward Island construction project activities.
- Ensures all required supplies/materials are procured in a timely manner and are available at the project site.
- With regard to the Habitat Handyman truck and trailer, ensures that an appropriate inventory of tools, supplies, and equipment is available to complete the project. Where a tool or item of equipment is not within the Handyman inventory, liaise with the Construction Manager to utilize/coordinate the use of tools/equipment from the Build inventory. Where no appropriate tool/equipment exists, advise the Construction Manager of the same.
- Is responsible for the tools and equipment allocated to the Handyman program, and for the periodic inspection of same for any health and safety concerns per existing policy and procedures. Conducts an annual inventory of the same.
- Acts as the ‘face of Habitat’ and the principal contact with the homeowner relative to the provision of the service.
- Provides supervisory oversight for all Handyman projects to ensure the quality of work, safety of project participants, and the stewardship of accepted practices.
Health & Safety
- Undertakes all such training as may be required by Habitat for Humanity PEI from time to time.
- Is responsible for the oversight and management of project safety, understanding that the safety of the homeowners for whom we provide the service, our staff, volunteers, and other stakeholders is our highest priority.
- Works with the Construction Manager to ensure that appropriate project health and safety policies and procedures are in place per HFHPEI, HFHC, municipal, provincial, and federal guidelines.
- Conducts thorough inspections of truck, trailer, and project work areas with an eye to spotting and resolving potential safety issues.
- Completes if/as appropriate such budgets, estimates, invoices, or other such documents as may be required to manage the Handyman service.
- Prepares such project schedules as may be required.
- Ensures accurate records are kept as appropriate.
And undertakes any other duties or responsibilities as may be required by the Chief Executive Officer or the Construction Division Manager from time to time.
- Continuous training, education, and job skill enhancement.
- ReStore employee discount.
- Mileage for non-company vehicles
- Great work environment with the ability to meet and help members of various communities.
- Competitive wages based on work experience.